As an experiment of sorts, I’m posting the submission history of my story: “The Ghul of Yazd.” Think of this as a submission tracker for just one story. The reason for doing this is to share the experience of submitting stories with my readers. And in doing so, to help new writers realize that their darling stories (and this one is a cherished piece of mine) will get rejected many times.
Here are the ground rules for this little game:
- I’m NOT going to share which magazines I’ve sent the story to or rejection letters.
- I will share with you when it gets submitted, rejected and/or accepted on this page.
- I’m going to keep sending out the manuscript until it’s accepted…
- …or I figure out a proper home for it.
Here’s the submission history of the story so far:
- Submitted: Sept. 21, 2013.
- Rejected: Oct. 24 (33-day rejection).
- Submitted: Oct. 30.
- Rejected: Dec. 5 (36-day rejection).
- Submitted: Dec. 20
- Rejected: Jan. 5, 2014.
- Submitted: Jan. 6.
- Rejected: Jan. 15.
- Submitted: Jan. 19.
- Rejected: Feb. 1.
- Submitted: Feb. 3.
- Rejected: Feb. 26.
- Submitted: Feb. 26. (Simultaneous Submission). Mar. 30 (Sim Sub. 2) Mar. 30 (Sim Sub. 3)
- Rejection: April 25. (Sim Sub. 1).
- Submitted: June 8 (Sim Sub. 4).
- Rewrite request: July 3 (95-day)
- Acceptance: July 25, 2014 (117-day).
- Author withdrawal: August 1, Sim Sub 3 and Sim Sub 4.
[UPDATE (Feb. 26, 2014): I’m starting to realize this is going to take awhile…Keep checking back for more.]
[UPDATE (Aug. 3, 2014): Captured final acceptance. Bottom line: 7 rejections, over 10 months from 1st submission to final acceptance.]