Wow! What a busy, crazy, good week!
I won’t get into a detailed breakdown here. I think I will save that for next time, but just know I’ve been writing, editing, submitting stories and working and living my butt off.
I think one of the most important things in life is to always be growing, be learning. And I feel I lost that thread for a while, but now I’m getting it back…In spades.
So, a few things I’ve recently learned:
- If you ever find yourself in a situation where you’re FORCED to submit your stories to literary magazines…Don’t do it in the summer. Most of them seem to be shut in the summer and don’t open until Sept. 1…at least. So, lesson learned.
- If you’re writing, keep writing. Don’t stop. Every page, every paragraph, every sentence you will slowly become a better writer. I’m not saying you will be published, or famous or rich. But if you practice and work hard, you will get better. Every day, every hour, every minute you put pen to page, you’ll improve, bit by bit.
- Critique others writers’ stuff. There’s nothing that can help motivate and teach you about how to be a better writer more than critiquing others’ stuff. And it doesn’t cost you a thing, just a little time.
- Make sure your work life (what you to do pay the bills), doesn’t intrude too much on your creative life, but don’t let it drift either. Keep the work you have to do to pay the bills interesting. And make sure you keep learning and growing there too. It’s part of life and it needs to grow and change to keep your interest. And you know what? If it’s interesting and a bit challenging, it could make a good story somewhere later down the road.
- Be good to yourself, take time for yourself. You’ll feel it if you’re getting burned out, trust me. And if you do, you need to take a step back. Take a vacation, take a hike. Hang out with some friends. Work and writing are important, but don’t forget to make some time for yourself too.
Not too much on my writing in this post, I know! But life/work/writing has been hectic! Next time, I’ll be back with a fuller, better update on all my writing activities.
Until then. Keep reading, keep writing.
Oh! And one tiny bit of additional good news: This blog has now passed 200 followers. That’s right! 201 people out there have decided to tune into my writing thoughts and musings on a regular basis.
I’m humbled and very pleased with the attention the blog has gotten. A big thanks to all of you! I will definitely be keeping this up.